How many of you out there if you are telling the truth ACTUALLY own a low back bra? I know that in my 15 years of bra wearing and in my search for the perfect bra, I have never come across a low back bra ever in my life. In my research for this article, I realized that low back bras are not so much a special bra, but an attachment to a bra. Since this article is a guide for idiot’s, I’m going to give myself a great big DUH!
Another option to adhesive bras is the low back bra. You can wear it under low-back tops and dresses. They work by attaching to the back closure of your favorite bra, wrap around your waist, and end in a cross-back for a secure and comfortable fit. So some of your trickiest styles have met your match without having to go out and buy new adhesive bras every time you want to wear low back tops and dresses.
There are a few rules to wearing the low back bra:
- Wear with a back-close bra (only)
- Strap attaches to the corresponding closure of your bra, wraps around waist creating an “X” in the back and attaches to the other end of bra closure
- Hand wash cold. Air dry.
So I’m sure you’re wondering what this contraption looks like, because to me it sounds like a medieval torture device. Well, here are a couple pictures of what this bra add-on looks like.
Tips (There’s so many things to remember just to wear a bra!)
- You can cross the strap over on your back (see the middle one in the image below), this can feel more supportive than if it goes straight to the side and across the front. If the strap isn’t long enough you can hook two together.
- Sometimes the strap across the front can cause bulging on your stomach, if this is happening and it will show through in what you are wearing put high-waisted control top panties over the top and this will smooth things out.
- If the bra is likely to peek out as you move, use pieces of fashion tape to stick your clothes to the bra.
- This may seem obvious but it’s also easy to forget. If you are wearing it with two shoulder straps, make sure you loosen them before putting it on.
From left: Convertible bra with strap to pull down the back, the same but with a halter neck, the same but strapped to crossover in the back – see the tips above for an explanation, convertible bra with a low back extender, the same but with a halter neck.
What about Plus Sized Ladies?
Being the complete idiot that I am, I did do some research on the most basic of plus sized companies that I was aware of and these straps did not get good reviews at all. I did find an excellent site where there was a woman who showed how to make her own with extra bra clasps she had. Please don’t be turned off by her website that is called extra petite because it actually has a great idea for a problem that needs solving. Her web address is: http://www.extrapetite.com/2012/12/diy-how-to-make-bra-strap-converter-for.html
I hope that after doing all this research for this type of bra, you feel like you are not a complete idiot anymore (or at least gained some knowledge!)